- Not hiring a criminal lawyer: It’s commonly stated that only guilty people demand an attorney – but it’s not true, and it can be a huge mistake. Most people don’t have a lot of experience in the criminal justice system and can easily find themselves backed into a corner in this stressful and frightening environment. A criminal lawyer understands this process and can help guide you while protecting your rights. They are not simply available to defend you in court, but can also assist the case in being concluded quickly and in your favor.
- Not being courteous: When being questioned, a lot of people respond by being aggressive or impolite – after all, it’s a frightening and stressful position to be in. However, the best response is to stay calm and politely respond to any questions by stating that you would like your attorney present. This prevents the situation from escalating or becoming violent.
- Talking about the case: Talking about your case to anyone other than your defense attorney and legal team can quickly destroy a strong defense. Talking to other people in jail, to the media and even to friends and family is a serious mistake that can have bad implications for your case. If someone wants to speak to you, clear it with your lawyer first.
- Playing an active role in your defense: Often, people feel like they can help their case by demanding that certain motions are filed or conducting their own legal research, but this is extremely counterproductive and can hurt your case. Remember, your criminal lawyer is on your side – they want to win and are going to use their extensive experience, their instincts and their expertise to give you the best possible chance.
- Not hiring the right criminal lawyer: If you have criminal charges against you, your family attorney is not going to be able to assist you. Neither will an inexperienced attorney. What you need is someone who knows the system inside out, who understands every side of your case and knows exactly how to represent you in order to deliver the best quality defense – the defense you deserve – so choose experience and professionalism first.
Choose New Jersey criminal lawyer you can trust
When hiring a criminal attorney, trust is key. Dennis Calo is a widely respected former prosecutor who has considerable experience as a criminal and civil trial attorney. He has worked in the justice system for 40 years and, during the last 20 years he has focused on a wide range of criminal defense cases, including theft, homicide, assault and sex crimes.
If you are facing a criminal charge, you need a lawyer who can provide expert assistance as soon as possible. A former prosecutor is uniquely positioned to give you the advice you need to deliver a strong, effective representation of your case and fight it from every possible angle. If you want a criminal defense lawyer that you can trust to defend your case professionally and aggressively, contact us today for a free case evaluation and find out how Dennis Calo can help you.
This content was originally published at http://www.criminaldefense-nj.com/blog/common-mistakes-criminal-case-clients-make/