One drink too many, one night of poor judgement, or one misunderstanding – that’s all it takes to destroy your career. DUI/DWI charges in New Jersey are vigorously fought by police, prosecutors and the courts, so if you’re facing these claims, you need the right legal expertise to ensure that your future isn’t one that includes time behind bars. Here are the best ways to fight your DUI/DWI charges, from a leading DUI defense lawyer in NJ.
The best ways to fight DUI/DWI charges in New Jersey
- Disputing suspicion: Police officers are trained to notice certain aspects of behavior and appearance that may be linked to alcohol or drugs – however, this may not be the cause. Medical conditions and medication side effects may also cause these. Video records of the arrest may also be inconsistent with the officer’s account.
- Challenging the legality of the stop: Officers must demonstrate that they had reasonable, clear cause to pull you over in order to say that the stop was legal.
- Challenging the reliability of the field sobriety test: The value of these tests can be compromised by other issues that may be unrelated to sobriety but will still deliver a positive result. For example, being overweight or having a physical injury may make it difficult to walk in a straight line or stand on one foot.
- Challenging the breathalyzer results: Breathalyzers can be compromised if they malfunction, are used improperly, aren’t stored correctly or aren’t of the right quality. They can also give incorrect readings for people with certain medical conditions.
- The “Rising Blood Alcohol” argument: Science shows that alcohol can take up to 90 minutes to reach peak absorption into the bloodstream, so it can be argued that a blood test taken after arrest showing an over-the-limit result could have been under the limit if taken at the time of the alleged offense.
- Failure to Mirandize: Everyone has to be read their Miranda rights at the time of their arrest in order to make the arrest legal. Failure to read these rights at the appropriate time and before questioning makes all evidence gathered up until that point inadmissible in court.
Get the legal advice you need when facing DUI or DWI charges in NJ
As a former prosecutor with over 40 years of experience in the New Jersey criminal justice system, Dennis Calo is a defense attorney with a difference. As a former prosecutor with inside knowledge of how the State works, he can build a robust defense against your DUI/DWI charges and fight for your rights.
Your freedom deserves a fight, DUI/DWI defense attorney Dennis Calo today.
Original content posted on http://www.criminaldefense-nj.com/blog/dont-let-dui-drunk-driving-charges-in-nj-end-your-career/